Are you looking for toys that will keep your kids active and engaged while they play indoors? Look no further! In this article, we’ll explore some of the top indoor toys designed for active play. From bouncy balls to trampolines, these toys are sure to get your little ones jumping, running, and laughing with joy. So, let’s get started and discover the perfect toy for your little one’s active playtime!
Types of Toys for Active Play
Physical toys are an excellent way to encourage active play indoors. These toys promote physical activity, creativity, and imaginative play. They can help children develop motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and problem-solving abilities. Some of the best physical toys for active play include:
Building sets, such as Lego, are great for encouraging creativity and imagination. They also help develop fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. Building sets can be used to create a variety of structures, from simple houses to complex vehicles. They are a popular choice among children of all ages and provide endless possibilities for play.
Puzzles are another excellent physical toy for active play. They help improve cognitive skills, hand-eye coordination, and problem-solving abilities. Puzzles come in a variety of sizes and levels of difficulty, making them suitable for children of all ages. They can be used to create pictures, build structures, or solve challenges.
Action figures are a fun physical toy that encourages imaginative play. They allow children to create stories and act out scenes with their favorite characters. Action figures come in a variety of styles and sizes, from superheroes to princesses. They can be used to create imaginative play scenarios or to play out favorite movie or TV show scenes.
Sports equipment is a great physical toy for children who enjoy sports and physical activity. It can include anything from mini basketball hoops to soccer goals or a mini golf set. Sports equipment encourages children to be active and promotes physical fitness. It also helps develop hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
Overall, physical toys are an excellent choice for encouraging active play indoors. They provide children with the opportunity to be physically active while also promoting creativity, imagination, and problem-solving abilities.
Creative toys are a fantastic way to keep kids engaged in active play while stimulating their imagination and creativity. Here are some of the best creative toys for indoor play:
Art supplies such as paint, crayons, markers, and colored pencils are great for sparking creativity in kids. They can use these supplies to create masterpieces on paper or canvas, or even to decorate their rooms. Art supplies are also excellent for improving fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
Musical instruments such as guitars, drums, and keyboards are not only fun to play but also provide numerous benefits for kids. Playing music can improve coordination, memory, and concentration, and it’s a great way to express oneself creatively. Plus, it’s a fantastic way to bond with family and friends through music-making.
DIY kits are perfect for kids who love to create and build things. These kits often come with step-by-step instructions and all the necessary materials to complete a project. They can make jewelry, build furniture, or create their own toys. DIY kits help kids develop problem-solving skills, patience, and persistence.
STEM toys are educational toys that focus on science, technology, engineering, and math. They can include building sets, robotics kits, and coding tools. STEM toys are excellent for encouraging critical thinking, creativity, and problem-solving skills in kids. They can also help kids develop an interest in STEM fields at an early age.
Indoor play is a great way to keep children active and engaged, and interactive toys are an excellent way to encourage this type of play. Interactive toys are toys that require some level of interaction between the child and the toy, whether it’s physically manipulating the toy or using it to play a game. Here are some examples of interactive toys that are perfect for active play:
- Video games: Video games are a popular form of interactive play that can be enjoyed by children of all ages. They can be played on a variety of devices, including consoles, computers, and mobile devices. Many video games are designed to be active, requiring players to move around and interact with the game environment.
- Board games: Board games are another form of interactive play that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. They require players to strategize, problem-solve, and collaborate with one another to win the game. Some popular board games that encourage active play include Monopoly, Clue, and Scrabble.
- Card games: Card games are a simple and portable form of interactive play that can be enjoyed anywhere. They require players to use strategy and quick thinking to win the game. Some popular card games that encourage active play include UNO, Go Fish, and Crazy Eights.
- Puzzles: Puzzles are a fun and challenging form of interactive play that can help children develop their problem-solving skills. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, from simple jigsaw puzzles to complex 3D puzzles. Children can work on puzzles alone or with others, making them a great option for solo or group play.
Benefits of Active Play
- Improves coordination and balance:
- Through active play, children develop their gross motor skills, which helps them to coordinate their movements and improve their balance.
- This is particularly important for young children who are still developing their sense of spatial awareness and body control.
- Indoor toys that encourage active play, such as building blocks or puzzles, can help to improve coordination and balance.
- Increases muscle strength and flexibility:
- Active play helps children to build muscle strength and flexibility in their bodies.
- Toys that require physical effort, such as pull toys or push toys, can help to build muscle strength in the arms, legs, and core.
- Toys that encourage stretching and bending, such as stretchy ropes or bendy straws, can help to improve muscle flexibility.
- Encourages physical activity:
- Physical activity is essential for maintaining a healthy body and mind.
- Active play can help to encourage children to be more physically active, which can help to prevent obesity and other health problems.
- Indoor toys that encourage active play, such as jump ropes or balance beams, can help to promote physical activity and improve overall health.
- Boosts problem-solving skills:
- Engaging in active play requires children to use their creativity and imagination to explore new ways of interacting with their environment. This type of play helps children develop problem-solving skills as they learn to navigate challenges and obstacles.
- Through active play, children are encouraged to think critically and creatively to find solutions to problems, such as building a tower with blocks or figuring out how to climb a structure.
- Enhances critical thinking abilities:
- Active play encourages children to think critically about their actions and decisions. As they engage in various activities, they must make choices and assess the consequences of those choices.
- This type of play helps children develop critical thinking skills by allowing them to analyze situations, make decisions, and learn from their mistakes.
- Promotes creativity and imagination:
- Active play provides children with the opportunity to express their creativity and imagination through various activities, such as role-playing or creating art.
- This type of play allows children to explore new ideas and concepts, think outside the box, and develop their imagination.
- It also encourages children to use their imagination to create new stories, games, and adventures, which helps them develop their creativity and problem-solving skills.
Active play offers numerous benefits for social development in children. Here are some ways active play can foster social skills:
Fosters teamwork and collaboration
Playing games and engaging in physical activities with others requires teamwork and collaboration. Active play encourages children to work together towards a common goal, such as completing a challenging obstacle course or scoring a point in a game. Through this shared experience, children learn to communicate, cooperate, and work together to achieve success.
Develops communication and negotiation skills
During active play, children must communicate their intentions, strategies, and ideas with their peers. They must also listen to and understand the ideas of others, negotiate roles and responsibilities, and adjust their own behavior accordingly. This type of communication and negotiation is essential for building strong relationships and effective teams.
Encourages empathy and cooperation
Active play provides opportunities for children to experience different perspectives and feelings. For example, when playing a game of tag, one child may feel excited and empowered, while another may feel frustrated and overwhelmed. Through active play, children learn to empathize with others and understand their emotions, which helps to foster cooperation and collaboration. They also learn to regulate their own emotions and behaviors in response to the actions of others.
Overall, active play is an important component of social development, providing children with opportunities to develop teamwork, communication, negotiation, and empathy skills.
How to Choose the Right Toys for Active Play
Consider the Child’s Age and Abilities
When choosing indoor toys for active play, it’s important to consider the child’s age and abilities. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Toddlers (1-3 years)
- Toddlers are just starting to explore their surroundings and develop their motor skills. Toys that encourage crawling, walking, and grasping are ideal.
- Examples of toys for toddlers include:
- Walkers and crawling toys
- Stacking toys
- Sensory toys with different textures
- Toys with large, bright colors and simple designs are also good choices for toddlers.
- Preschoolers (3-5 years)
- Preschoolers are more active and have developed their motor skills. Toys that encourage imaginative play and creativity are ideal.
- Examples of toys for preschoolers include:
- Building blocks and construction toys
- Dolls and action figures
- Puzzles and games
- Toys with different themes, such as cars, dinosaurs, or superheroes, are also good choices for preschoolers.
- Elementary school children (6-12 years)
- Elementary school children have more advanced motor skills and are more independent in their play. Toys that encourage physical activity and social interaction are ideal.
- Examples of toys for elementary school children include:
- Sports equipment, such as a basketball hoop or a soccer ball
- Board games and puzzles
- Electronic toys, such as a tablet or a gaming console
- Toys that encourage teamwork and cooperation, such as building kits or strategy games, are also good choices for elementary school children.
Choose Age-Appropriate Toys
When choosing toys for active play, it is important to consider the age of the child. Toys that are not age-appropriate can be too easy or too difficult, which can lead to boredom or frustration. Additionally, safety should always be a top priority when selecting toys for children. It is important to choose toys that are safe and durable, and that are appropriate for the child’s interests and abilities.
To ensure that you are choosing age-appropriate toys, consider the following factors:
- Level of difficulty: Toys that are not too easy or too difficult will provide a suitable challenge for the child. Toys that are too easy may be quickly mastered and become boring, while toys that are too difficult may be frustrating for the child and lead to a lack of interest.
- Safety: Toys should be safe for the child to use and should not pose any risk of injury. Look for toys that have been tested for safety and that meet all relevant safety standards.
- Durability: Toys should be able to withstand the wear and tear of active play. Look for toys that are made with high-quality materials and that can stand up to the rough and tumble of playtime.
- Appropriateness for the child’s interests and abilities: Toys should be appropriate for the child’s interests and abilities. Consider the child’s age, developmental stage, and personality when selecting toys. A toy that is appropriate for one child may not be suitable for another, so it is important to choose toys that are tailored to the individual needs and interests of the child.
Look for Quality and Value
When it comes to choosing indoor toys for active play, it’s important to consider the quality and value of the toys. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Toys that are made from high-quality materials: Look for toys that are made from durable materials that can withstand rough play. Materials like plastic, metal, and wood are good options. Also, check if the toys have any small parts that could be a choking hazard for young children.
- Toys that are durable and long-lasting: It’s important to invest in toys that can withstand the wear and tear of active play. Look for toys that have sturdy construction and can handle rough play without breaking or falling apart.
- Toys that offer good value for the price: While it’s important to invest in high-quality toys, it’s also important to consider the price. Look for toys that offer good value for the price, taking into account the cost and the amount of playtime they provide.
Top Indoor Toys for Active Play
When it comes to indoor toys designed for active play, building sets are a fantastic option. These toys not only encourage creativity and imagination but also help develop problem-solving skills and hand-eye coordination. Some of the top building sets for active play include LEGO sets, K’NEX sets, and Erector sets.
LEGO sets are a classic toy that has been entertaining children for generations. These colorful blocks can be used to build just about anything your child can imagine, from vehicles and buildings to superheroes and dinosaurs. The best part about LEGO sets is that they are versatile and can be enjoyed by children of all ages. Whether your child is a toddler just starting to build or a teenager looking for a challenge, LEGO sets have something for everyone.
K’NEX sets are another popular building toy that offer a unique building experience. Unlike LEGO sets, K’NEX sets use rods and connectors to build structures, allowing for more flexible and customizable designs. K’NEX sets also come with instructions for specific models, such as cars and roller coasters, making them perfect for children who enjoy following step-by-step instructions. Additionally, K’NEX sets can be used to build working machines, such as robots and cranes, adding an element of engineering to the play.
Erector sets are a more advanced building toy that offer a more complex building experience. These sets include a variety of mechanical components, such as gears, motors, and pulleys, which can be used to build working machines and structures. Erector sets also come with instructions for specific models, such as airplanes and cars, and can be customized to build anything your child can imagine.
Overall, building sets are a fantastic option for indoor play that offer endless possibilities for creativity and imagination. Whether your child prefers LEGO sets, K’NEX sets, or Erector sets, there is a building toy out there that will inspire their imagination and keep them active and engaged.
Puzzles are an excellent indoor activity for people of all ages. They require critical thinking and problem-solving skills, making them a perfect choice for active play. Here are some popular types of puzzles that you can try:
Jigsaw puzzles are one of the most popular types of puzzles. They involve piecing together different shapes and sizes of puzzle pieces to form a complete picture. Jigsaw puzzles come in various sizes, from simple 20-piece puzzles to complex 1000-piece puzzles. They are a great way to improve your problem-solving skills and hand-eye coordination.
Puzzle games are another type of puzzle that can be played indoors. They can be single-player or multiplayer and can range from simple matching games to complex strategy games. Some popular puzzle games include Sudoku, Crosswords, and Word Searches. These games require critical thinking and problem-solving skills and can be played by people of all ages.
Brain teasers are puzzles that require you to think creatively and outside the box. They can be simple riddles or complex logic problems. Some popular brain teasers include the “Roman Numeral” puzzle, the “Light Bulb” puzzle, and the “Missing Number” puzzle. Brain teasers are a great way to improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Overall, puzzles are an excellent indoor activity for active play. They require critical thinking and problem-solving skills, making them a perfect choice for people of all ages. Whether you prefer jigsaw puzzles, puzzle games, or brain teasers, there is a puzzle for everyone.
Action figures are one of the most popular toys for kids and adults alike. They allow you to bring your favorite characters to life and engage in imaginative play. Here are some of the top action figures that are perfect for active play:
Superhero Action Figures
Superhero action figures are some of the most popular toys for kids. They allow children to imagine themselves as their favorite superhero, saving the world from evil. Some of the most popular superhero action figures include Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman. These action figures come in different sizes and styles, so you can choose the one that best suits your child’s interests.
Toy soldiers are another popular type of action figure. They allow children to engage in imaginative play, creating battles and reenacting historical events. Toy soldiers come in different sizes and styles, so you can choose the one that best suits your child’s interests. Some of the most popular toy soldier action figures include G.I. Joe and Army Men.
Fantasy Action Figures
Fantasy action figures are perfect for children who love imaginative play. They allow children to bring their favorite fantasy characters to life, such as dragons, unicorns, and fairies. Some of the most popular fantasy action figures include Disney princesses, Harry Potter characters, and Star Wars characters. These action figures come in different sizes and styles, so you can choose the one that best suits your child’s interests.
Overall, action figures are a great way to encourage active play in children. They allow children to use their imagination and engage in pretend play, which is essential for their cognitive and social development.
Active play is an essential part of any child’s development, and indoor toys that encourage physical activity are a great way to keep kids engaged and entertained. Sports equipment is a fantastic option for indoor play, as it allows children to simulate their favorite sports and games in the comfort of their own home. Here are some top indoor sports equipment toys that are perfect for active play:
- Basketball hoop: A basketball hoop is a great way to encourage children to practice their shooting skills and improve their hand-eye coordination. There are many different types of indoor basketball hoops available, from small foldable models to larger, more sturdy options that can be mounted to the wall or ceiling. Some hoops even come with adjustable height settings, making them suitable for children of all ages and skill levels.
- Soccer goal: If your child loves soccer, an indoor soccer goal is a must-have toy. These goals are typically made of lightweight materials like plastic or nylon, making them easy to move around and store. Some goals come with adjustable width settings, allowing them to accommodate different-sized balls and cater to different age groups.
- Tennis racket and net: Tennis is a great sport for developing hand-eye coordination, footwork, and agility. Indoor tennis sets are a fun way to simulate the sport and provide children with a healthy outlet for their energy. These sets typically include a small net and a few tennis balls, along with a lightweight tennis racket designed for younger players. They are a great option for children who want to improve their tennis skills or just have fun hitting a few balls around the house.
Overall, sports equipment toys are an excellent choice for indoor play, as they encourage physical activity and help children develop important skills like hand-eye coordination, balance, and agility. With so many different options available, there is sure to be an indoor sports toy that suits your child’s interests and abilities.
When it comes to indoor activities, art supplies are an excellent option for getting creative juices flowing. With a variety of tools and materials to choose from, there’s something for everyone, regardless of age or skill level. Here are some top indoor art supplies to consider:
Paints and Paintbrushes
Paints and paintbrushes are a classic combination for good reason. They offer endless possibilities for self-expression and can be used to create a wide range of artworks, from abstract paintings to detailed landscapes. Choose from acrylics, watercolors, or oil paints, and experiment with different brush sizes and shapes to achieve unique effects.
Crayons and Markers
Crayons and markers are excellent options for young children or those who prefer a more straightforward approach to art. They are easy to use and can be combined in endless ways to create colorful masterpieces. Try using crayons to create intricate patterns or markers to draw bold, expressive lines.
Colored Pencils and Sketchbook
For those who prefer a more detailed approach to art, colored pencils and a sketchbook are ideal. Colored pencils offer a wide range of vibrant colors and can be blended to create smooth gradations. A sketchbook provides a blank canvas for exploring different techniques and ideas, from sketching to coloring to shading. Try experimenting with different paper textures and techniques to achieve unique results.
Playing musical instruments is a great way to get active while having fun indoors. Here are some of the top musical instruments that are perfect for active play:
The guitar is a popular musical instrument that is easy to learn and can be played in many different styles. It is a great way to get active while playing music, as it requires movement of the fingers and arms to press the strings and strum the chords.
Drums are another popular musical instrument that is perfect for active play. They provide a fun and energetic way to play music, as they require movement of the arms and hands to hit the drums and cymbals. Drumming also helps to improve hand-eye coordination and rhythm.
The keyboard is a versatile musical instrument that can be played in many different styles. It is a great way to get active while playing music, as it requires movement of the fingers and hands to press the keys and create melodies. Keyboard playing also helps to improve finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
Overall, playing musical instruments is a great way to get active while having fun indoors. Whether you prefer the guitar, drums, or keyboard, there are many different options to choose from to suit your interests and playing style.
Electronic kits are an excellent option for children who are interested in technology and tinkering. These kits typically include a range of components, such as LEDs, resistors, and breadboards, that can be used to build simple circuits and learn about electronics. Popular electronic kits for active play include:
- Snap Circuits: This award-winning kit features over 75 electronic components and 30 different projects to build, making it an excellent choice for children who want to learn about electronics in a fun and engaging way.
- Electro Dough: This kit combines playdough with electronics, allowing children to create and play with their own interactive creations.
Robotics kits are perfect for children who are interested in engineering and robotics. These kits typically include a range of components, such as motors, sensors, and a microcontroller, that can be used to build and program robots. Popular robotics kits for active play include:
- Lego Mindstorms: This popular kit includes Lego bricks and a microcontroller that can be used to build and program robots. It also includes a drag-and-drop programming language that makes it easy for children to learn programming concepts.
- Ozobot: This tiny robot can be programmed using a range of different languages, making it an excellent choice for children who want to learn programming in a fun and engaging way.
Science kits are an excellent option for children who are interested in science and experimentation. These kits typically include a range of components, such as test tubes, beakers, and chemicals, that can be used to conduct experiments and learn about science. Popular science kits for active play include:
- Thames & Kosmos Science Kits: These kits cover a range of scientific topics, from chemistry to physics to biology, and include a range of experiments that children can conduct at home.
- Geology Kits: These kits allow children to explore the world of geology, with experiments that involve rocks, minerals, and fossils.
Overall, DIY kits are an excellent option for children who want to be active and engaged while learning new skills. Whether they are interested in electronics, robotics, or science, there is a kit out there that will help them explore their interests and develop their skills in a fun and engaging way.
STEM toys are designed to promote Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math skills in children. These toys provide an interactive and engaging way for kids to learn and develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
Some of the top STEM toys for active play include:
- Coding toys: These toys teach children how to code through fun and interactive games. They provide a hands-on approach to learning coding concepts and help develop computational thinking skills.
- Engineering toys: Engineering toys are designed to teach children about engineering principles and how things work. They provide an opportunity for kids to experiment, build, and create their own structures and machines.
- Math games: Math games are designed to make learning math fun and engaging. They provide a variety of activities that help children develop their math skills, including problem-solving, counting, and measurement.
These STEM toys are not only fun and interactive but also provide a valuable learning experience for children. They help develop important skills that are essential for success in today’s technology-driven world.
When it comes to indoor active play, video games are a great option. There are several consoles to choose from, each with its own unique features and games.
- Nintendo Switch
- The Nintendo Switch is a popular console that allows players to switch between handheld mode and TV mode. It has a variety of games available, including Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. The Switch also has motion controls, making it a great option for active play.
- The PlayStation is a powerful console with a strong focus on first-person shooter and role-playing games. It has a wide range of games available, including popular franchises like Call of Duty and Final Fantasy. The PlayStation also has a virtual reality headset, allowing players to fully immerse themselves in their games.
- The Xbox is a versatile console with a strong focus on sports and racing games. It has a variety of games available, including popular franchises like Madden and Forza. The Xbox also has a subscription service, allowing players to access a library of games for a monthly fee.
No matter which console you choose, video games are a great way to stay active while having fun indoors.
Board games are a classic example of indoor toys that promote active play. These games not only provide entertainment but also help in developing cognitive and social skills. Some of the most popular board games for active play are:
- Monopoly: Monopoly is a real estate trading game that has been a favorite for generations. The game involves players buying, selling, and trading properties, and the winner is the one who ends up with the most valuable portfolio. The game requires players to strategize, calculate risks, and make quick decisions, making it an excellent game for improving cognitive skills.
- Scrabble: Scrabble is a word game that involves players placing tiles with letters on a game board, trying to create words and earn points. The game requires players to think creatively, use their vocabulary, and strategize their moves. Scrabble is an excellent game for improving language skills and fostering creativity.
- Clue: Clue, also known as Cluedo, is a murder mystery game where players try to solve a crime by gathering clues and interrogating suspects. The game requires players to think critically, analyze evidence, and deduce the culprit’s identity. Clue is an excellent game for improving problem-solving skills and logical reasoning.
Overall, board games are a great indoor activity for people of all ages, as they provide a fun and engaging way to stay active and improve cognitive and social skills.
Card games are a great way to keep the whole family entertained while staying indoors. They are easy to play, require minimal equipment, and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Here are some of the top card games for active play:
Poker is a classic card game that is enjoyed by millions of people around the world. It is a game of skill and strategy, and there are many different variations of the game that can be played. The basic rules of poker are simple: each player is dealt two cards, and then there are several rounds of betting. After the betting is complete, the player with the best hand wins the pot.
Bridge is another popular card game that is enjoyed by people of all ages. It is a game of partnerships, and the objective of the game is to take tricks (playing cards) from the other team. Bridge is a game of skill and strategy, and it requires players to work together as a team to win the game.
Blackjack, also known as 21, is a popular card game that is played in casinos around the world. The objective of the game is to get as close to 21 points as possible without going over. Players are dealt two cards, and then they can choose to hit (draw another card) or stand. The dealer must hit if they have less than 17 points, and the player who gets closest to 21 points without going over wins the game.
Overall, card games are a great way to stay active and engaged while indoors. Whether you prefer the excitement of poker, the teamwork of bridge, or the simplicity of blackjack, there is a card game for everyone.
Puzzles are a fantastic way to engage in active play while sharpening your mind. With puzzles, you can challenge yourself to solve complex problems, improve your cognitive abilities, and have fun at the same time. There are several types of puzzles available, each designed to provide a unique experience.
Crosswords are a classic puzzle that requires you to fill in the missing words in a grid. They are an excellent way to improve your vocabulary, memory, and problem-solving skills. Crosswords come in different difficulty levels, so you can choose one that suits your skill level.
Sudoku is another popular puzzle that involves filling in numbers in a grid. The objective is to fill in the grid with the numbers 1-9 without repeating any number in the same row, column, or region. Sudoku is an excellent way to improve your logic and analytical skills.
Word search puzzles involve finding a list of words hidden in a grid of letters. The words can be horizontal, vertical, or diagonal, and you need to find them all. Word search puzzles are an excellent way to improve your observation and concentration skills.
In conclusion, puzzles are an excellent indoor toy for active play, providing an engaging and stimulating experience. Whether you prefer crosswords, Sudoku, or word search puzzles, they are an excellent way to improve your cognitive abilities and have fun at the same time.
1. What types of toys are designed for active play?
Active play toys are designed to promote physical activity and engage children in active play. They include toys such as action figures, sports equipment, outdoor toys, building sets, and ride-on toys.
2. What are the benefits of active play toys?
Active play toys provide numerous benefits for children, including improved physical health, cognitive development, social skills, and creativity. They also help children develop a love for physical activity and an active lifestyle.
3. Are active play toys suitable for all ages?
Active play toys are suitable for children of all ages, from infants to teenagers. However, the type of toy may vary depending on the age and developmental stage of the child. For example, infants may enjoy sensory toys and crawling toys, while older children may enjoy sports equipment and building sets.
4. Where can I find active play toys?
Active play toys can be found at most toy stores, both online and in-store. You can also find a wide selection of active play toys on websites such as Amazon and Walmart.
5. How do I choose the right active play toy for my child?
When choosing an active play toy for your child, consider their age, interests, and developmental stage. Look for toys that are age-appropriate, durable, and safe. It’s also important to consider the space where the toy will be played, as some toys may require more space than others.